Sunday, October 23, 2016

Zao Organic Make Up Review

Hi Lovelies,


Wecome back! And if you are new here, welcome 💕💕💕

Zao Organic Make Up - all photos copyrighted to Green Life In Dublin
What do you say when offered a chance to try organic make up that you had your eye on for ages?? You say: “Yes Please! Come This Way!” Right? Right??

Well, joking aside, I am very grateful for a chance to review Zao make up, and what's even better, there might be a chance that they are coming to Dublin soon! How exciting would that be?! Now we would have a chance to buy certified organic make up right here in our own city, no trying to match yourself to the right shade online, and no more unwanted custom charges! Do we want that? Yes we do, very much so! And can we just take a moment to appreciate gorgeous bamboo packaging? Totally adorable! And did I mention that it is certified organic and has fabulous refill system? Or that they are gluten free, cruelty fee and mostly vegan products? I think I just heard angels singing!


Here's what Zao have to say:

Many women tell us that they would like to use organic cosmetics, but texture and performance are often issues for them. zao Organic Makeup represents the breakthrough women have been waiting for luxury, quality and performance, which are only enhanced by the zao approach to using the most perfectly natural and organic ingredients. We don’t provide just a color cover-up. Our makeup is good for your skin, as it is full of antioxidants and essential fatty acids that nourish, renew and regenerate your skin. You can read their story on how it all started and how it all started here.


Zao first contacted me to see if I could help them conquer Dublin, I had a few ideas for them, but sadly I couldn't put them through with the right people as I’ve no connections in the biz, I am just a regular consumer like you and I. So we ended up collaborating for a blog review instead. So if you want to read what I think about the products, please keep on reading! And maybe grab a snack and tea or coffee, whichever one you prefer :)



Compact Foundation (cream)
 
There were a lot of testing around to find my correct shade in this foundation. At first I was sent 728, 729 and 730. All of them ended up being too light for me, 728 had too much yellow, 729 too much pink of the undertone, and while 730 looked just about right in undertone, but it was waaay too light for me. When I emailed them this with photos to boot, they sent the next foundation sample in the hopes to find the right shade for me, 733, because I am a neutral gal and 731 and 732 wouldn't have worked for me in terms of undertones. Well, I know what you are thinking, and I do understand that it looks scary dark in the pan, but the truth is that this shade ended up working for me! Crazy, I know, I haven't come across anything like it before, but it is like this foundation is almost un-oxidising when it hits your skin, so my advice would be go at least a shade darker than you think you are, or try to secure a sample before investing in a full size to avoid disappointment. 100%Pure Healthy Skin Foundation is similar in terms that it also goes lighter when it's on the skin, but not that much lighter.

Now, about the foundation itself. It goes on smoothly and it is very easy to blend. A bit less coverage than Kjear Weis, but it is very buildable. And I find it easier to work with than Kjaer Weis. It does not cling to any dry patches on the skin, nor it does highlight fine lines or anything like that. Once on, it holds pretty well in its own, the very first day I wore it I didn't set it on purpose, to see how well it would last on its own, and it didn't disappoint! My skin is dry and sensitive though, so if you are oily, setting it is a must, otherwise it would move on the face I am afraid. I am really impressed with it I have to say.
It comes in the gorgeous bamboo case that you only buy once, and from then on you can purchase refills, I just love that! No throwing away a plastic case when you are done, and then getting another one. As I try to reduce waste in our household, this refill system is just a music to my ears!
Below you can see the swatches of the shades as well as their concealer.



Ingredients:
728-741: Oleyl Oleate, Squalane, Silica, Polyglyceryl-10 Apricot Kernelate, Phyllostachis Bambusoides Rhizome Extract*, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil (Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Seed Oil)*, Hydrogenated Olive Oil Stearyl Esters, Lauryl Olivate, Copernicia Cerifera Cera (Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax)*, Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil (Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil)*, Tocopherol, Fragance( Natural Vanilla Extract), Bambusa Arundinacea Stem Powder,Ci 77820(Silver). May Contain +/-: Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Ci 77491 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77492 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77499 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77742 (Manganese Violet). *Ingredients From Organic Farming ** Made Using Organic Ingredients.

100%​ Natural ingredients. 20% Minimum of organic ingredient.

 Now, a bit more info about their ingredients, taken from their page:

Bambusa arundinacea stem powder (micronised bamboo stem powder) : Regenerates epidermis
A white substance extracted from the nodes of the bamboo. It is mainly composed of pure silica and has been widely used in oriental medicine. Organic silica, which is a component of connective tissue, is present throughout the human body and regenerates the epidermis as it is involved in the synthesis of collagen and elastin. Over time, our capital silica diminishes causing demineralisation and loss of skin elasticity. It is therefore necessary to regularly replenish the skin with transcutaneous supplies.

Phyllostachis Bambusoides Rhizome Extract* (organic bamboo rhizome oil): Regenerates epidermis
As bamboo powder or bamboo leaves hydrosol, this material is extremely rich in organic silica which external input is needed to maintain the elasticity of our tissues and our skin. In the case of this oil, the advantage over powder or hydrosol is its ability to further penetrate the superficial part of the epidermis.

Silver (CI77820 micronised silver powder) : Natural preservative
These micro-particles of pure silver are antiseptic (especially on skin and mucous membranes) and Antibacterial as well, thereby preserving the product and protecting the skin. Microsilver is often used in creams to treat burns. Almost all products in the ZAO range (except the two lipbalms) contain micro-particles of pure silver (a natural preservative).

Silica (organic silica) : Toning and moisturising
The human body contains about seven grams of silica, far more than any other mineral including iron (and silica is the second component of the earth's crust with a 28% share after oxygen with 47%). An essential quality of silica is that it allows the body to efficiently absorb and assimilate minerals and vitamins. The connective tissue of the human body (cell wall) is composed of collagen and elastin. These molecules need silica, which, however, is no longer synthesised from an age of about twenty. An external supply is needed especially for the skin. For this reason, most of the products in the ZAO range contain organic silica.

Orbignya oleifera (babassu) seed oil* (organic babassu seed oil) : Antioxidant and anti-aging
Very rich in lauric acid, this oil has exceptional penetrating properties and is noted as non-comedogenic. It is sweet, very moisturising and Suitable for all skin types, even the most sensitive. Its high concentration oftocotrienols provides antioxidant and anti-aging values.

Zao Correcting Concealer, in a tube above testers. That's how your refill looks like.
 Correcting Concealer

I got it in the shade 492 which is correct shade for me, as I like my undereye concealers in a lighter shade to create that brightening effect. Now, let me start off with the good news, it Does Not Crease!! Amazing! I couldn't wait to tell you all about it. Concealer is a very important tool in my green beauty arsenal, because my hereditary dark circles are so bad, that you would immediately would ask me if I am tired or sick if you ever saw me without make up, they are that bad, and no amount of sleep/green smoothies/ relaxation/products help, so I might just as well make my peace with it and make concealer my best friend. Even on my no make up days (which is most days to be honest) I will put some concealer, mascara and eyebrows. I don't want to scare people, okay?

So, let's get back to the concealer, shall we? The ingredients are just as impressive as their foundation, and I am impressed at how this works, I mean I've never met a green and clean concealer that would not crease, even my beloved Hynt Beauty concealer creases if I put on a little more than a pinprick dot. This holds up beautifully on it's own, and I don't even have to set it! I have to admit that my daily make up looks very natural, and I use very little concealer too, nothing like you see some of the Youtubers use in their videos. So if you are that girl who puts on those "triangles" of concealer under your eyes, I would recommend setting it just in case, but for me it does not crease, and I am very impressed, definitely an unexpected star!

Ingredients (INCI/CTFA): Ingredients (INCI/CTFA): Oleyl Oleate, Olive Oil Decyl Esters, Persea Gratissima Oil [Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil]*, Silica, Copernicia Cerifera Cera [Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax]*, Cera Alba [Beeswax]*, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil [Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Seed Oil]*, Squalene,Tocopherol, Natural Vanilla Extract As Fragrance ,Bambusa Arundinacea Stem Powder, Ci 77820 [Silver], Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Melaleuca Alternifolia Leaf Oil [Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil]*, Aqua [Water], Aloe Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Alcohol. May Contain +/-: Ci 77891 [Titanium Dioxide], Ci 77491 [Iron Oxides], Ci 77492 [Iron Oxides], Ci 77499 [Iron Oxides], Ci 77288 [Chromium Oxide Green] *. May Contain +/-: Ci 77891 [Titanium Dioxide], Ci 77491 [Iron Oxides], Ci 77492 [Iron Oxides], Ci 77499 [Iron Oxides], Ci 77288 [Chromium Oxide Green] *: Ingredients From Organic Farming

Percentage of natural ingredients: 100%. Percentage of organic ingredients: 20% minimum.



 Organic Mineral Silk Foundation (loose powder)

It comes in a gorgeous bamboo pot with a magnetic lid. All of their make up comes in cotton pouches too, which is a cute touch.

Ingredients (Inci/Ctfa):(Ref 500) : Mica, Zea Mays Starch (Zea Mays (Corn) Starch)*, Silica, Phyllostachis Bambusoides Rhizome Extract*, Glyceryl Caprylate, Squalane, Bambusa Arundinacea Stem Powder, Tocopherol, Natural Vanilla Extract (Fragrance), Ci 77820 (Silver).*: Ingredients From Organic Farming

Percentage of natural ingredients: 100% Percentage of organic ingredients: 22% minimum

Ingredients (Inci/Ctfa) (Ref 501-506): Mica, Oryza Sativa Powder (Oryza Sativa (Rice) Powder)*, Zea Mays Starch (Zea Mays (Corn) Starch)*, Silica, Zinc Stearate, Theobroma Cacao Seed Extract (Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Extract), Tocopherol, Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil (Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil)*, Adansonia Digitata Seed Oil*, Sesamum Indicum Seed Extract (Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil)*, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Natural Vanilla Extract (Fragrance), Lauroyl Lysine, Alpha-Glucan Oligosaccharide, Bambusa Arundinacea Stem Powder, Ci 77820 (Silver), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Theobroma Cacao Extract (Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Extract). May Contain +/-: Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Ci 77491 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77492 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77499 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77947 (Zinc Oxide), Ci 77510 (Ferric Ferrocyanide), Ci 77007 (Ultramarines), Ci 77288 (Chromium Oxide Green), Ci 77289 (Chromium Hydroxide Green), Ci 77742 (Manganese Violet).*: ingredients from organic farming

Percentage of natural ingredients: 100% Percentage of organic ingredients: 32% minimum

I like this a lot too, it can be used on it's own as a light coverage foundation, or to set their cream foundation, like I did, in both cases it works very well. Nothing bad to say about this product (or any of them for that matter), great ingredients, great performance, very cute packaging!


Zao Matte Lipstick in 464


 Lipstick

Comes in two varieties, matte and pearly. The one you see here is matte in the 464 which is described as red orange on the website, but it definitely pulls more brown on me. See it swatched here and in the very last photo below. It looks the same way on the lips. I have to say I like the formula, very easy to apply, creamy but not slippery, not drying at all, lasts a decent time too, and what I really like, no weird taste on the lips either like from Red Apple Lipstick. Would I purchase more of them? Totally! I would like to see the shade selection in person though, so hurry up to Dublin, Zao!! We want/ need you here.

Ingredients (INCI/CTFA) 461-468,470: Ricinus Communis Seed Oil (Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil)*, C10-18 Triglycerides, Prunus Armeniaca Kernel Extract (Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Extract), Hydrogenated Olive Oil Stearyl Esters**, Glycine Soja Oil (Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil)*, Hydroxystearic/Linolenic/Oleic Polyglycerides, Fragance (Natural Vanilla Extract), Tocopherol, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter (Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter)*, Olea Europaea Fruit Oil (Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil)*, Theobroma Cacao Seed Butter (Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter)*, Phyllostachis Bambusoides Rhizome Extract*, Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil (Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil)*, Elaeis Guineensis Butter (Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Butter)*, Punica Granatum Fruit Extract (Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Fruit Extract)*, Bambusa Arundinacea Stem Powder, Ci 77820 (Silver). May Contain +/-: Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Ci 77491 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77492 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77499 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77510 (Ferric Ferrocyanide), Ci 77007 (Ultramarines), Ci 77742 (Manganese Violet), Mica. * Ingredients From Organic Farming

Percentage Of Natural Ingredients: 100%. Percentage Of Organic Ingredients: 50%

Ingredients (INCI/CTFA) 469: Ricinus Communis Seed Oil (Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil)*, C10-18 Triglycerides, Prunus Armeniaca Kernel Extract (Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Extract), Hydrogenated Olive Oil Stearyl Esters**, Fragance (Natural Vanilla Extract), Glycine Soja Oil (Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil)*, Hydroxystearic/Linolenic/Oleic Polyglycerides, Tocopherol, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter (Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter)*, Theobroma Cacao Seed Butter (Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter)*, Olea Europaea Fruit Oil (Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil)*, Phyllostachis Bambusoides Rhizome Extract*, Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil (Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil)*, Elaeis Guineensis Butter (Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Butter)*, Punica Granatum Fruit Extract (Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Fruit Extract)*, Bambusa Arundinacea Stem Powder, Ci 77820 (Silver). May Contain +/-: Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Ci77019 (Mica), Ci 77491 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77492 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77499 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77510 (Ferric Ferrocyanide), Ci 77007 (Ultramarines), Ci 77742 (Manganese Violet). *Ingredients From Organic Farming

Percentage Of Natural Ingredients: 100%. Percentage Of Organic Ingredients: 45% minimum



So, what is my verdict? Did the products get Green Life In Dublin stamp of approval? Yes! They passed with flying colors!

Zao is stocked in 43 countries worldwide, including UK and one place in Ireland (which makes me to organize a trip to Sligo just for that purpose!) - you can find the list here.


My wishlist from the brand:

Blush in Golden Coral

All of the eye brushes and eyebrow brush

Eye shadows (pearly) in 102, 103, 105, 106 and 119 which I would also try to use as a blush

Cream eye shadow in 251

Volume mascara in black

Pearly lipstick in 402 and 403

A pencil or two (they have a lot of multipurpose ones)

Eyebrow powder (not sure of my shade, would need to get a sample or see the products in person, as from looking online, the "ash blonde" looks way warmer than "blonde", which confuses me a bit)

And I really wanted a bamboo palette as I find them gorgeous, but watching Crueltyfrecutie video opened my eyes that the palette isn't held together by hinges, but acording to her "a sticker", so again, this is something I need to see in person to decide whether to get it or not.



So that is it, my two cents aka the review on this wonderful brand and their products, which hopefully will come to Dublin sooner rather than later! I know they already have a loyal customer in me.



That is all for now,

Lots of Love,

Renata.



  


6 comments:

  1. Dear Renata,
    I'm a huge fan of Zao as well. The products simply work and they have such a nice color selection. My favorite product is their liquid eyeliner. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really glad you are enjoying their products too! Thanks for reading and have a lovely day :)

      Delete
  2. Seems like it ticked all the boxes! I've just got some samples of the foundation to try so hopefully i'll get on as well as you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! I'll keep fingers crossed it would work for you :)

      Delete